A significant achievement for any native business, small or big, is to put their feet on foreign soil beyond the ocean. Ecommerce businesses have great potential overseas, and it is always an excellent attempt to expand your business abroad after it has achieved a fair share of domestic success.
The need to expand business abroad calls for the functionality of your business to avail international shipment. Therefore, you need to know the essential functions of international shipment first if you are willing to spread your business beyond your country. In this case, you have to develop a strategy that works for you in the long run.
Why Should You Consider International Shipping?
You may be new to the whole international shipment thing, or you may have trial and error sessions several times. But spreading your business across the border sure has some benefits. For facts, you can check the section below.
- Increased Brand Visibility: The familiarity of your business increases trust among the customers. The foreign expansion of business also has a significant effect on your local market.
- Expanded Customer Base: If you avail your business to the global market, your business opens itself to even greater numbers of customers. A more significant number of customers gives you a greater number of sales.
- Testing New Market: You never know the potential of your business outside your local boundary unless you try it out.
- Product Alternatives For Customers: Customers worldwide always want better alternatives for the certain product that they are using. They may also not have a specific product produced internally in their country. So having an e-commerce business providing those may help them.
Global Ecommerce Statistics
- Regarding the emarketer estimates, in 2017, the retail e-commerce sales grew to 2.304 trillion dollars, boosting it upto 24.8% from 2016.
- 70% of online shopping is done internationally.
- 93% of online retailers provide international shipment by 2019; if they did not ship internationally before then, they plan to do so from 2019 onwards.
- The average global order value is 17% more than the average domestic order value of a sale.
DocShipper Advice : The typical mistake of almost all managers of e-commerce is to believe that it is possible to generate purchases only by presenting products or offering incentives. For any sales closing technique to work, the customer must be ready to buy, and this preparation is achieved through marketing strategies that are often quite complex and medium-long term.
Prepare Your Business For International Shipment
If the statistics and the previous facts got you excited about international shipment, you need to prepare your business for international shipment. You need to make the right shipping decisions for your global e-commerce to perform well. Here are some of the guidelines for you to utilize in the perfect e-commerce strategy.
- First, you need to build an international shipping strategy.
- You can ship internationally through Shopify.
- Calculate the proper shipment charge for the international customers.
- Preparing packages for your products.
- You have to understand the country regulations of the country that you are shipping to.
- Work with multiple shipment carriers.
Build An International Shipping Strategy
There are no limited rules or strategies for making international shipping easy and successful, but here are some key principles that need your attention to strategize international shipping successfully.
What To Ship And Where
Your first step is to select the country where you will be shipping your goods and what type of product you will be shipping. I have given here some easy guidelines to avoid getting caught up in the very early phase.
Analyze The Current Demand
Analyze the current traffic on your website to identify the larger number of foreign customers who show interest in your product. Or you can directly respond to the request made by interested customers of particular countries.
Start With Neighbouring Countries
It is best to start with a nearby country as the base of your foreign business expansion. Starting small with a closer location from a domestic business location helps you have a closer look at the performance of your business and the customer feedback.
Overcome The Language Differences
Use of the native language of the country you are availing shipment to draws you closer to the customers of that country. Using their language to communicate with the customer makes them comfortable to do business with you.
Know What To Ship
When expanding your business to a different country, you need to understand whether a product has demand in that country or not. Suppose you make all the products available for a country you are shipping to maybe a bad idea. Rather, you can choose a set of products that have potential customers and ship them over to that country.
Docshipper Tip : When a potential customer is willing to buy, then it is imperative that they find a perfectly optimized site to convince them to make the purchase. Here are the best techniques that allow you to increase the chances of conversion to an e-commerce site and therefore to generate more sales.
Follow The Rules And Regulations
You must know the rules and regulations of the country that you are shipping your products to. After checking on the market interest and the proper foreign market for the products, it is best to know the business rules a country has set for foreign traders and businesses.
Some countries prohibit some specific items or limit them. An effortful awareness about the country’s rules and regulations helps you make smooth delivery decisions, positively impacting your overseas business.
Use Shopify For Shipping
Shopify offers you access to discounted rates UPS, USPS, DHL Express, and Canada Post if you are a merchant from the USA or Canada. In addition, your purchase of international shipping labels automatically generates the documentation and lets you print it.
Using DHL Express transmits the documentation electronically to the customer, helping you skip the hassle of paperwork.
The shipping costs are one of the major concerns of overseas shipment. You must be careful that the shipment does not cost too much. The postal shipment is probably the cheapest, but it is slow. You can use Express carriers.
As I mentioned step by step, you must concentrate on proper business strategies for foreign grounds then think about shipping your product right away. Doing so will make the process systematic and organized, making a better way towards profit. There are more to international business strategies, like delivery options and tracking.
There are different types of delivery expectations among customers. So, your delivery options need to be flexible. You should also help the customers with the shipment tracking option. Customers love to keep track of their purchased items, and you should avail that to them and insurance for safe delivery of the product.
With all these primary shipping strategies in mind, you can load up your ship and finally set sail. Let me know if you find this article helpful. If you have any issues or feedback, then share it as well.
Interested in our services? Need personalized information?
Our experts will answer you within 24 hours
FAQ | International Shipping Options For E-commerce Sales
What Is The Best Way To Ship Ecommerce?
You can use different shipping carriers for e-commerce shipment. FedEx, USPS, and UPS are some of the best shipping carriers.
How Much Should I Charge For Shipping?
You can calculate the average shipping charge per package to decide the right charge for each package. What you can do is to take the sum of all the package shipping costs for a month and then divide the number with the number of packages that you will be shipping.
What Are The Shipping Mediums?
You can resort to all available shipping mediums like : A plane usually ships everything. Shipping by truck is a good option as well. Using cargo ships to ship through the ocean is also a valuable option.
Mashum Mollah is a tech entrepreneur by profession and passionate blogger by heart. He is on a mission to help small businesses grow online. He shares his journey, insights, and experiences at The Daily Notes & RSL Online, Online Health Media & Follow The Fashion. If you are an entrepreneur, digital marketing professional, or simply an info-holic, then this blog is for you.
DocShipper info: Do you like our article today? For your business interest, you may like the following useful articles :
DocShipper Advise : We help you with the entire sourcing process so don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions!
- Having trouble finding the appropriate product? Enjoy our sourcing services, we directly find the right suppliers for you!
- You don't trust your supplier? Ask our experts to do quality control to guarantee the condition of your goods!
- Do you need help with the logistics? Our international freight department supports you with door to door services!
- You don't want to handle distribution? Our 3PL department will handle the storage, order fulfillment, and last-mile delivery!
SIAM Shipping | Procurement - Quality control - Logistics
Alibaba, Dhgate, made-in-china... Many know of websites to get supplies in Asia, but how many have come across a scam ?! It is very risky to pay an Asian supplier halfway around the world based only on promises! DocShipper offers you complete procurement services integrating logistics needs: purchasing, quality control, customization, licensing, transport...
Communication is important, which is why we strive to discuss in the most suitable way for you!